
"Will you forgive me?" my husband asked after one of our heated "discussions." (We didn't call them arguments or fights, just discussions.) I stiffened and didn't reply. He doesn't deserve it, I thought. I'd rather stay angry with him awhile. But I knew it took courage and humility for him to ask forgiveness, and he'd be upset if I said no. Always a peacemaker, he wanted to mend our relationship. Although I didn't feel like forgiving him, I remembered God forgave me when I didn't deserve it. While still a sinner, Christ died for me (Romans 5:8). My heart softened, and I replied, "Yes, dear, I forgive you. Will you forgive me?" Our sweet relationship returned, and we hugged. It felt wonderful to forgive and be forgiven. It's even more wonderful to know God forgives us. Today's verses remind us how blessed we are to have our sins covered and forgiven (vv. 1-2). When we acknowledge and confess our sins, God forgives us and removes our guilt (v. 5). Then our sweet relationship with Him is restored. Forgiveness is essential for all relationships, whether with God or others. When our engaged son asked family and friends for marriage advice, I didn't have to think long to give mine: "Be quick to forgive and ask forgiveness. Then you'll reap peace and joy in your marriage." I knew it was good advice. I'd tested it for 32 years. Recently we celebrated Easter and recalled that our forgiveness came at a great price to God-the death of His dear son Jesus. How blessed and happy we are to be forgiven. ~Gracious God, thank you for forgiving my sins. When I confess them, You are faithful and just to forgive and cleanse me. Help me forgive others the way You have forgiven me.
No comments:
Post a Comment