I don't know what happened to me .... but Papa and I were sitting in our recliners both tired. He said "Let's take a nap." I looked at the clock and said "Are you crazy? It is almost bedtime!" Next thing I know I am waking up at 9:30 in my chair and crawl off to bed. I wake up at 6 this morning to the cat wanting out. I slept 11 1/2 hours! I must have needed it .... but maybe it was too much because I want to sleep some more! lol!
Yesterday I cleaned the kitchen and rearranged a few things so they are easier to access. I keep cleaning off the dining room table and every time I turn around it is getting full again! There are only two of us here this weekend! How does it happen? Papa. Papa was sooo busy yesterday. Washed the car, van and truck and changed my oil.... who knows what he did when I was gone but he kept busy.
I went and picked up mom. Then we went to WalMart so she could pick up a few things. Then we waiting in line at the drive thru at Jack in the box for 10 minutes... got our food and went to watch Jessie's game!
She did good... even pitched! It was fun! David and Lois came over to visit us. We left before the end of the game because it went on and on and mama was getting tired. Lois text me and said they finally called the game at a 15-15 tie. Took mama to get her hair cut. It looks pretty good. Only $20 for a shampoo, haircut and style. She seems happy with it. I am sure it felt better. Took her home after that because she was whooped. It was so awesome spending time with her!!!!! She still isn't feeling that well but I think we both just wanted to spend the time together. It is only 7 a.m. so I will call her later and see how she is doing.
I heard through facebook my other grand daughter Jordy had softball tournaments again this weekend and that she did awesome!!! Not sure where or when though. I am going on Monday to finally see her play! Now that I have stamina after work I can go. lol! It is in Bremerton which is about 20 miles from work opposite way of home. They never play on weekends.... which sticks. Oh well.... I am anxious to see her play. And Riley is on Tuesday! I have a Martha and Mary dinner banquet on Thursday.... MANDITORY! or should I say HIGHLY recommended we go. It is the 120th anniversary of Martha and Mary organization. Here is it's timeline I thought was interesting... but then I love history! Especially local!
The Martha & Mary Story Timeline
1887
|
Pastor
Ingebrigt Tollefson and his wife were confronted with the growing
number of orphans and responded by taking in parentless children at
their Tacoma home.
|
1890
|
Because of the increasing demand, nearly 50 acres of property were purchased in Poulsbo to erect a building to care for orphans.
|
1891
|
A building for twenty children (ages 3-8 years old) is built and then dedicated on May 30 as the Martha & Mary Orphan’s Home (Martha og Marias Wausenhuset0).
|
1893
|
Because the Home needed broader support and management, the organization was incorporated as The West Coast Lutheran & Charity Association on January 17.
|
1894
|
The Association began a high school (Bethania HØiskole) that would later be transplanted in Everett as a high school and college.
|
1907
|
Times
and needs were changing and the ages served expanded (2-18 year olds)
with a focus on maintaining the “family” atmosphere which was deemed so
important. The building went through several additional expansions until
it could serve up to fifty children.
|
1907
|
Because
of a growing community need, Rev. Tollefson and Pastor Mohn are offered
$4,000 to build a home for the care of the elderly.
|
1908
|
Land adjacent to the orphanage property was purchased, cleared, and construction of a new Home began.
|
1909
|
On June 28, Ebenezer Home (Ebenezer Old Folk’s Home) is dedicated and houses six residents (and two cows!).
|
1925
|
An addition to Ebenezer structure is made to accommodate increased demands and more residents.
|
1941
|
Due
to increased needs, a new Orphan’s Home is dedicated on May 30 to
reflect expansions, focus, and a higher quality of training.
|
1955
|
Martha & Mary Orphan’s Home is
discontinued after serving over 800 children in its unique history. Due
to the demands of the time, the building is converted into a nursing
facility associated with Ebenezer Home and operates as Martha & Mary Nursing Home.
|
1956
|
An annual 30th
of May Celebration is inaugurated bringing in supporters from around
the Puget Sound by auto or boat including a launch operated by the
Kitsap County Transportation Company.
|
1980
|
In
1980, after 71 years of operation, the Ebenezer Home (the "old folks
home" on the hill) was closed. After a complete renovation it would
reopen.
|
1983
|
In
1983, Martha & Mary returned to caring for children when employees
were offered child care in a little red house on the grounds of Nursing
Home. Six children attended the first day, and enrollment soon grew to
its capacity of 15 children. (JOANNA STARTED THIS!)
|
1985
|
The Ebenezer reopened as Martha & Mary Retirement Apartments. (WHERE MOM LIVES)
|
1999
|
A major remodel of the nursing facility showcased the 190-bed Martha & Mary Health and Rehab center.
|
2001
|
Martha & Mary Children’s Services are asked to take over a vacant position as the Before & After School Program at all seven North Kitsap Elementary Schools.
|
2003
|
Child care expanded into Silverdale with a new building: Martha & Mary Early Learning Center.
|
2007
|
Before & After School care expanded into two elementary schools in the Central Kitsap School District .
|
2009
|
Martha & Mary Home and Community Services
is incorporated as Martha & Mary launched into Home Care with 120
employees after purchasing two successful Home Care organizations
extending its reach from Gig Harbor to Jefferson County.
|
2011
|
On May 30, Martha & Mary celebrates 120 years of enriching life.
In 2010, Martha & Mary served over 1,950 people in our community.
|
Happy Birthday Martha & Mary.
Papa just woke up. Beautiful day. Sun is out and birds are singing so it is going to be a good day. Mama wants me to bring her a Macho Burrito from Azteca's today for a couple dinners this week. Will do. ;D
Well.... not sure what is happening today. I would like to totally stay home except for the Mexican thing. We will do that. I need a gate on my deck and a screen on my door. Need to talk to Kevon, I think. Him or Joel are the carpenters in the family.... but Joel is kind of out of it right now.
We do have the garage door and furnace both fixed so I am very happy about it! Slowly getting things fixed up around here. Been a long winter.
I hope you all have such a wonderful day!!!!! Happy SUNday and SONday! :D


3 comments:
Well, I gotta say, IF a body needs sleep...let er sleep!!! yeah!, and also, I have 3 tables down here for eating, and not ONE of them is ever clean....sigh...we seem to eat standing up...that won't stay that way long if the For Sale sign goes up...WHAT CLUTTER!! specially when the Marine marches in....but its all good! And I must say that Mexican food is AWESOME looking...Whenever the whole family happens to land here all at the same time, many times we will head for Don Pedros to get our fill of Mexican...WAY TOO MUCH FOOD!!!! Oh my gosh...they serve enough for 3 people in one entree....
Hugs to you. Have a restful day...
xoxo
I woke this morning, looked at the clock and almost fell out of bed! It was 8:45... I couldn't believe that I had slept THAT late! I guess I needed it too:) I start getting ready for Church at 9:30 and that didn't leave me much time for blogging and drinking coffee!
Hope all of your sick ones feel better! I am happy you got to spend some time with your Mama! I know ya'll miss each other:) DO ya'll say "ya'll" up there? Just curious:)
Love you bunches, enjoy this lovely Sunday! HUGS!
Well if you're tired sleep...that's my biggest problem! I refuse to ley myself get the rest that I need so I get run-down easily! DON'T DO THAT TO YOURSELF, that's an order!
I'm glad you got to spend some time with your mom, I'm sure that she loved having her hair done!
Glad that things are going well for you!
Sending hugs & love your way!!
Post a Comment